Ceramic Coating: Should You Get It In 2022?
The year is 2022. You’re driving your brand new car and you get a rock chip. You take it to the dealer to have it repaired under warranty, and they tell you that your paint is no longer covered because you have a ceramic coating.
Ceramic coating! You’ve been hearing about it for years, but you’re not quite sure what it is or if you need it. You know it’s some kind of paint protection, but is it worth the cost?
In this article, read more to learn:
- What Ceramic Coating Is
- Why You Might Need It
- How Much Does Ceramic Coating Cost?
- What Are The Pros and Cons of Ceramic Coating?
- Should You Get Ceramic Coating in 2022?
What is Ceramic Coating?
Ceramic coating is a clear, liquid polymer that is applied to the painted surface of a car. Once it cures, it forms a durable, protective layer over the paint. The ceramic coating fills in any microscopic pores in the paint, creating a smooth surface that is resistant to dirt, UV rays, and other environmental contaminants. Isn’t it amazing what science can do?
Ceramic coating was originally developed for use in the aerospace industry. It was designed to protect aircraft surfaces from the extreme temperatures and UV exposure encountered at high altitudes. The coating quickly gained popularity in the automotive world for its ability to protect the paint from environmental damage and keep cars looking new longer.
Why You Might Need It
If you live in an area with a lot of environmental contaminants like bird droppings, tree sap, or industrial fallout, a high-quality ceramic coating NJ can protect your paint from staining and etching. It can also prevent rock chips and scratches from marring the paint surface. And if you live in a sunny climate, the UV-resistant properties of a ceramic coating can help prevent fading and oxidation. Not only that, here’s a little secret, a ceramic coat can make washing and drying your car quicker and easier. The water beads up and rolls right off!
How Much Does Ceramic Coating Cost?
To be honest, the cost of a good ceramic coating can be a bit prohibitive. A professional installation can range from $500 to $2500, depending on the size and condition of your vehicle. And although there are DIY kits available, we don’t recommend them. Applying a ceramic paint coating properly requires special equipment and training.
Here’s a more detailed breakdown of ceramic coating cost:
Nano-ceramic coating: $500-$1200
Professional ceramic coatings: $1000-$2500
DIY ceramic coating kit: $100-$200
Now, you may be thinking, “I don’t need all that protection. I’ll just wax my car and call it good.” But here’s the thing, a ceramic coated car is different from a car wax in several important ways.
First, a ceramic coating is much more durable than wax. It can last for years with proper care, while wax needs to be applied every few months.
Second, a ceramic coating creates a barrier that protects the paint from environmental contaminants. Wax does not provide this level of protection.
And third, a ceramic coating makes washing and drying your car quicker and easier. The water beads up and rolls right off!
What Are The Pros and Cons of Ceramic Coating?
There are several pros and cons to consider before getting a ceramic coating. If you want a more detailed list, you’ve come to the right place!
- A car ceramic coating creates a barrier that protects your paint from environmental contaminants.
- The coating fills in any microscopic pores in the paint, creating a smooth surface that is resistant to dirt, UV rays, and other environmental contaminants.
- A ceramic coating can make washing and drying your car quicker and easier. The water beads up and rolls right off!
- A ceramic coating can last for years with proper care.
- The UV-resistant properties of a ceramic coating can help prevent fading and oxidation.
- A ceramic coating can protect your paint from staining and etching.
- A ceramic coating can prevent rock chips and scratches from marring the paint surface.
- A ceramic coating can give your car a high-gloss, showroom-worthy finish.
- A ceramic coating can increase the resale value of your car.
- The cost of a professional ceramic coating can be prohibitive.
- DIY kits are available from DIY ceramic coating manufacturers, but we don’t recommend them. Applying a protective coating properly requires special equipment and training.
- A ceramic coating is not a permanent solution. Eventually, the coating will wear off and need to be reapplied.
- A ceramic coating is not a substitute for proper care and maintenance. You still need to wash and wax your car regularly.
- A ceramic coating can make your car harder to clean if it becomes contaminated.
- A ceramic coating can yellow or discolor over time if it is not properly cared for.
- A ceramic coating can be damaged by harsh cleaners, high pressure washers, and automatic car washes.
- A ceramic coating is not a cure-all. It will not fix existing paint defects or damage.
- A ceramic coating is not a replacement for paint protection film (PPF). PPF is a clear film that is applied to the surface of your car to protect it from rock chips, scratches, and other types of damage.
Should You Get a Ceramic Coating in 2022?
Now that you know the pros and cons of ceramic coatings, you can make an informed decision about whether or not this type of protection is right for your car.
If you want the best possible protection for your paint and you don’t mind spending the money, then we say go for it! A ceramic coating in 2022 is one of the best investments you can make in your car.
On the other hand, if you’re on a budget, or you’re not sure you want to commit to the maintenance required to keep a ceramic coating looking its best, then you might want to consider other options.
Either way, we hope this article has helped you learn more about this popular paint protection option.
Should You Hire a Professional to Apply Your Ceramic Coating?
We always recommend hiring a professional to apply ceramic coating. This is not a job for a DIYer. Applying a ceramic coating properly requires special equipment and training.
If you’re not sure where to find a reputable detailer in your area, we can help! Just give us a call or send us an email, and we’ll be happy to recommend someone. Make sure to ask about their experience with ceramic coatings, and be sure to get a written estimate before you commit to anything.
In the meantime, check out our other articles about car care. From washing and waxing tips to advice on choosing the right paint protection film, we’ve got you covered!
What Happens if You Don’t Get a Ceramic Coating?
If you don’t get a ceramic coating, your car will still be protected, but it won’t have the same level of protection as a car that does have a coating.
Without a car’s ceramic coating, your paint is more susceptible to staining, fading, and chipping.
The elements can also take their toll on your paint, causing it to oxidize and discolor over time.
Washing and waxing your car regularly will help extend the life of your paint, but it won’t last as long as it would with a ceramic coating.
In short, professional-grade car coatings can be the best way to protect your car’s paint, but it’s not the only way.